My Savings This Week - 12/16/09

>> Thursday, December 17, 2009

Another week, more savings. Here are the details of my shopping adventures yesterday. I say adventures, because it was interesting. With such great sales and great coupons to boot, there were bound to be some shortages, and I certainly ran into a few of them. Also, one last minute shopping list/coupon switch up by myself, and I jumbled one of my transaction. Totally my fault and I was annoyed, but I am still learning too after all! Topped off by shopping with three kids in tow (for part of the day), doctor appointments for my twins... it was a full day to say the least!

Here we go:



10 boxes of cereal
6 boxes of crackers (my FAVORITE kind!)
1 bottle of fabric softener
1 bottle of laundry detergent
2 3/4 lbs of bananas
5 lbs of butter
4 blocks of cheese
3 bags of shredded cheese
4 quarts of ice cream
3 cartons of juicy juice (with immunity boost)
6 bottles of juicy juice (the bigger 64oz bottles)
6 jars of pasta sauce
5 bags of frozen veggies
2 bags of chocolate chips
4 cartons of fresh orange juice
7 boxes of cream cheese
1 box of lasagna noodles
1 bottle of chili sauce (not on sale, but needed for a recipe)
3 limes (recipe)
ginger root (recipe)
bean sprouts (recipe)
1 large carton of yogurt (not on sale, but my husband really wanted this)
(one lime and about half the bananas are not pictured, they've already be eaten!)

Once again, seven separate transaction. This time, just because of my hectic schedule and other appointments for the day, I ended up going to three different Rainbow stores and did 2-3 transactions at each store.

End result:

Total Value of All Groceries (before sales or coupons): $216.02
Total Discounts from sales and coupons: -$161.22

Total OOP: $54.80

I mentioned that I goofed up one transaction, which caused my coupons not to be doubled. But it was my mistake when I switched up my planned shopping list in the store. I also bought a few non-sale/non-coupon items that I needed for a specific recipe that we wanted to try. So between those two things, my OOP was a bit higher than it could have been, but still I was at 75% savings: not too bad.

How was your shopping/savings this week?

Looking forward to next week with Double DOUBLE Coupon day at Rainbow. Next week only, up to 10 coupons per transaction. I'm so excited!

4 comments:

Jennifer December 17, 2009 at 2:30 PM  

Thanks! It was a crazy day, the stores were packed! But worth the effort.

Jenn December 17, 2009 at 3:33 PM  

All right so I have to ask...... Roughly $54.00 spent out of pocket. Lots of great deals. But I'm curious, what meals will you make from your purchases? Or snacks for the munchkins? Will you go back to a store to get those items? I'm trying to wrap my brain around this whole way of couponing! :D

Jennifer December 17, 2009 at 6:47 PM  

Sure, good question! Keep in mind I've not been blogging about my shopping for very long, so we had other groceries already in the house other than what I've posted here.

We try very hard to eat healthy, well balanced meals. A typical week we will alternate between a meat with a vegetable and rice/potato on the side and either a lasagna, chili or soup type of item. Snacks are usually fruit, yogurt, cheese & crackers... that type of stuff, which is all things that can be purchased with coupons, depending on the week. The key is stocking up on some items when they are great deals. Like the frozen veggies this week. They were totally free! I love fresh produce, but I don't mind frozen, so to get frozen veggies for free is a great way to save tons of money. My free frozen veggies will still be good in three months, while if I had purchased fresh this week, well, it wouldn't have been free and it wouldn't keep till March! We usually have left over dinner food for lunches the next day and we have a range of cold and hot cereal, what my kids call "cheesy eggs", fruit and stuff like that for breakfast.

I can say that other than one trip to Aldi last week to pick up some produce (spent under $5 OOP) I haven't picked up any other groceries other than what I've blogged about.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Post a Comment

Followers

How Did You Hear About PTP?

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP